Monday, July 11, 2011


Backtracking again:

We spent many more days at Canaan's.  We stopped at Amani for an afternoon, but honestly I was to emotionally drained from everything that I had seen at the prisons to take any pictures.  I knew that I would be back in a week.  All of our team just had a relaxing afternoon.  It was refreshing to see that the children were actually well taken care of there and that there was plenty of love to go around.  We got to walk around main street for awhile too.    


Allison and I took a picture underneath the sign outside of where we ate.  It had an Africa on it, and it was hands down my favorite picture of us together in many years.  Unfortunately, when you give your camera to children, sometimes pictures get deleted.  Allison had her pictures deleted and the next day after that happened to Allison, they managed to delete only the pictures from that day.  Anywayssss, just envision a picture where Allison and I just look African.  We looked like we belong.  It's in our blood.  I can feel it.  I love Uganda with EVERY ounce of my soul.  My heart is content and God is SO close.


We walked down the street from Canaan's and went to visit the children at Canaan's Primary School.  They were overjoyed to see us.   When my boys greeted me downstairs during break time, they each handed me letters.   I will cherish these letters for forever.  The wisdom that Jotham has in the Lord will just blow you away.  They each were so sensitive in their letters and it made my love for them grow deeper and deeper.  

This is one of the medium sized classes.

We got the chance to visit each classroom and we had to sing for the children.  It's a custom in Africa if you are a guest to perform.  (I'm not a big fan.)  Then, the children sang for us, asked us questions about America, and recited bible verses for us.  

Loved what these said.
Don't make noise.
We have to greet people.

Fighting is bad.
Stealing is also bad.

Singing for us.
The kids also loved the chicken dance that we taught them.

The side of the school.
I love all the brush and the cows.
I'll have to find the video from each classroom.  It was an amazing experience just like everything else on this trip.  On the Sunday we were there, I caught my Grandma online and was able to skype with her, my Grandpa, Will, and Luke.  They boys and Liti absolutely loved meeting all of them.  I asked my Grandma to call my mom, and my mom was able to get on and meet them as well. 
Outside with some boys and Richard.

 Beauty.
Jotham's letter included this sentence, "I pray to God that you may find a handsome husband because you are also beautiful.  I continue praying to God that you grow old in the Lord our Father."   I just love that kid.  His wisdom in the Lord and his faith just amaze me.  I ended up with multiple letters at the end of the trip, but nothing could top this one.  You don't realize the impact you're making until you see into their heart.  I will cherish the letters for forever.   




Fun at night.

The boys knew that the 3 and sometimes 4 of us were like a family.  When I would arrive back, if Liti was not out, they would find her and bring her to me.  It was absolutely precious.  I'm glad that our photographer, Richard, caught him carrying her to me.  Jotham is such a sweet boy, and I'm going to miss his laughter and charming smile.
Jotham bringing Liti to me.

Spending time with the boys and Liti.
On this day, Liti was very feverish and sick.  While we were gone, she was just in bed all day.  I was so sad that I couldn't be with her, and my heart just broke for all of the orphans in the world who do not have a family to take care of them when they're sick or hurt.  I don't know what I would do without my family especially my mother while I'm sick.  They take care of me, and I can't imagine just laying in bed with no medicine trying to fight off sickness.  Luckily, a member on the team had medicine, and I was able to give it to her.  In the morning, her fever was gone and she was basically back to normal!
Sick baby.
I had missed my sassy Liti.
SO adorably cute.

Allison and I took our first boda ride.  It was a very short one, and now that I've been at Amani, I ride them all the time.  I'm definitely going to miss my fast service boda men.  They are basically taxis.  Funny story about my first boda ride; I defintely grabbed onto my boda driver and had my arms around his waist.  People forgot to mention that I wasn't suppose to do that.  It was just instinct when we took off, and I didn't have a handle because I wasn't on the back.   I've learned now, and am a pro.  Normally, I don't even use the handle unless when making fast turns or going to hit a pothole.  I'm going to miss bodas like CRAZY even on long boda rides when you are black and completely caked in red dirt.  Oh my.  That is a sight. 


1st boda ride!

We handed out boys to many all of preschoolers one afternoon. Around 400 children come to Canaan's, and they all were absolutely precious.  Some even had wool sweaters and fur coats on because it's their  cold season here.  We all got a good laugh about that because I would've melted if I had any of that on.  



Every branch that bears fruit He prunes, 
that it may bear more fruit.
John 15:2




The last night we were there, they performed for us.  Each of the rooms at Canaan's had practiced songs to sing for us.  Beautiful is an understatement. God was unbelievably mighty, and watching the kids worship and pour themselves out in song to the Lord left many of us in tears.  I felt like a proud parent watching my children perform and sing.  No wonder parents go nuts over their children.  It helps that every single child participates and has a beautiful singing voice especially this boy named Chris and girl named Claire.Their voices ring just like angels do.  I have lots of video from that, so I'll upload that once I, unfortunately, get home.  
(I wish I could just ship my family here.)

I'm going to miss her SO much.  

The LORD will give what is good.... Righteousness will go before Him,
and shall make His footsteps our pathway.
Psalm 85:12-13

Angela.



The boys performing for us.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6


Love her wrinkly nose when she's happy.

Allison with a few of her girls.
There is just something about worship that gets to me.  I love to sing to the Lord. That is when I feel his arms wrapped so tightly around mine.  I know he is just holding me, and that he has got me in his hands.  

The fam.
                                                  For you are my hope; O LORD God, 
You are my trust from my youth and the source of my confidence 
Psalm 71:5


The girls LOVED the pillowcase dresses!  

I am teaching you today--yes, you--so you will trust in the LORD
Proverbs 22:19

Serika.
My heart is definitely broken.  I can't believe the time passed so quickly.  I have so many posts half done, so hopefully I'll have time to finish them all.  I can't wait to share about my baby Esther.  Oh my, she has done an extreme work in my heart.  My love for her is never ending.  My life will never ever be the same.  These children have opened my eyes.  I can't just know that they're orphans and not act.  It's personal now.  
God wanted Peter to be a part of my life.
It's crazy how much we all had in common.
Only God.
I already know and have been told that I'm going to have a hard adjustment home.  I'm not prepared, and I do not like to cry in front of people.  I still can't grasp the fact that I'm returning to Nebraska.  Allison keeps reminding me that we'll be home soon, but that won't stop the ache in my heart and empty arms for the first time in months. There is ALWAYS someone in my arms, usually always Esther or if I'm at Canaan's, Liti.  The only person that can get me through is the healer, comforter, and my protector.    
Spending time with the boys when Liti was sick in bed.
I'm going to cling to him like never before.  I'm so excited to see what he has in store with my life. I'm just glad that he has it all under control. I just need a long ugly cry.  Trusting in his WORD, and feeling peace in his promises.       

CS Lewis could not have said it any better:
In Jinja on Main St.
 To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable." 
~CS Lewis, The Four Loves


LOVE those eyes.
My sassy baby doll.
Love from Uganda,

No comments:

Post a Comment