Thursday, June 16, 2011

He Alone is Worthy

Today, I woke up to the lovely voice of William singing Jesus Loves the Little Children with his little Ugandan accent.  Again, I am reminded of God’s grace.  It covers every single person and every single sin.  Now that obviously doesn’t mean that I have a free wild card and get to continue sinning, but it completely humbles me and brings me to the feet of my king.  How can I ever turn to my indescribable God and tell him, NO I will never do this, NO, I will never go there, NO, I don’t have the time or money or even just completely turn away from him and shut my ears completely.  I’m in complete awe of my God who never gets annoyed with me and gives me chance after chance to get it right.  He’s continuing to prune my heart and give me patience and many other things to be more like him.    



Just hangin' out.

Right after nap time.





So sweet.
If I'm not holding her, she's here.

“He cuts off every branch in me that does not bear fruit, while every branch that does bears no fruit he cleans so that it will be even more fruitful.” –John 15:2 

“I am the vine, and you are the branches… apart from me you can do nothing.” –John 15:5

So yes, William, Jesus does love the little children, all the children of the world, and I love them too.  I challenge each and every one of you to pray for God to open your ears to whatever he is calling you do to in your life.  It is time for every Christian to live on fire for Christ and help spread the gospel, not by just words, but by actions.  This life isn’t about us, there really is a bigger picture, and I want to see it and be a part of it.  I want to be able to stand in front of my king and hear, “Well done, Good and faithful servant” not “I never knew you. Away from me.”  So with my heart poured out with my thoughts, I’ll move onto today and eventually backtrack to M4.   
Matthew 25:21
Matthew 7:23
Lunch time.
At Amani, I begin my morning with the toddlers. 
(Note to Self: Cltoh diapers/ fillings inside the cloth diapers do not hold ANYTHING, susu (pee) is always on the floor or has found a nice wet spot on my lap.  Diapers are the way to go.)

I love ending the night with my D.

Due to the riots during election time in Uganda, Amani reunited the children with families back with them if they were able.  Amani works with some of the parents or family members and teaches them how to properly take care of their children in hopes to place the children back in a loving family.  Right now they are about half capacity, but that alone scares me.  I absolutely cannot imagine more children here.  There is never enough love to go around and the mountains of fighting would just multiple. There are 15 toddler/ preschool boys that share one room and every morning when I enter, “Auntie, Auntie” is on repeat mode.  The boys each act out for attention and sometimes it is just darn tiring when the hitting and spitting doesn’t end, but God continually teaches me patience and gives me grace to deal with each boy.  One on one each boy is a completely different child and all of the old tendencies/ pack mentalities disappear.  This orphanage is by far a very equipped and staffed orphanage, but it all comes down to the fact that these children need love; the fundamental necessity of life and it does not cover the main needs of the children.  They need and want families badly.  Their little eyes just tell it all.  One deep gaze into their eyes, and I just see their pain and my heart breaks all over again.
2 of the sweet boys.

There were 2 new children that arrived this week.  (I’m not allowed to use names of the children because some are adoptable.  You can read about some of them online, but I’ll refer to them by the first letter of their names.) A arrived and he is around 6, making him the oldest at Amani.  I’m not sure exactly what his circumstances were, but he is one sweet boy.  Unfortunately getting acquainted at the orphanage also means that some of the other boys bully him.  During nap time, another boy had climbed up to the top bunk and hit him with a stick.  A was very distraught and came upstairs with one of the nannies he has bonded with.  An orphanage is no place for any child.  He does not know much English yet, but is catching on very quickly.  It breaks my heart that he is already beginning to develop habits like the other boys.  I was talking with one of the nannies, and she said that he wants a Mzungu (white) dad and mom.  My heart aches for this wish to come true.  No child should have to WANT for a family.  They should have a family.

My itty bitty precious one.
I LOVE HER.
 E also arrived this week.  He has a mother, but she did not know how to take care of him, and this 6 month old baby was so malnourished and sickly.  He already is filling out in the cheeks, but still has a long way to go.  His skin just hangs on him in bags.  I’ll have to get a picture of him because he is quite the little peanut.      
My gurlllll.

      
Today, I got to take J on a date to town for my 1 on 1 time.  (I know y'all know that this is SO up my alley.)  We rode a boda boda, while he held on tight to me.  He is absolutely precious and is one of the children that has stolen my heart at Amani.  He gets really crazy and spazzes out occasionally, but I don’t think I could handle a child without a unique personality.  Supposedly, he was a huge bitter and hair puller, but I haven’t noticed any of that. He really did that to seek attention and just needed some extra loving, which I graciously obliged.  I just have to remind him to be gentle at times, and he has been completely fine.  I loved dressing J in handsome outing clothes. 
At Ozzie's where J learned how to use a straw, but then we opted for a cup.


We enjoyed dining with 2 other volunteers and their 2 Amani boys that joined us for a snack.  They were so precious drinking their Coke’s ciabatta (amazing bread) and cinnamon rolls.  We went and picked up a painting I ordered and also to the supermarket to pick up a flashlight since the power likes to go out frequently for random amounts of time.  I could tell that he isn’t use to being out a lot because he was such a shy boy to workers and while we walked down Main Street he clung to me.  I mean I wasn’t complaining, I felt like a mama and I don’t think there is ever a time that I don’t want to be holding a little one.  After our boda ride back, he only wanted it to be the 2 of us and would scream and freak out if any other child came by me.  It would take a little while to calm him down and reassure him that another child can sit on my lap, but you J have my full attention.  His giggle is adorable; it is like a deep rumble. 
His sweet kisses on the cheek, after he moves my hair away, completely melt my heart.  I just want him to be able to pray to God and grow in him, and know that there is a father who is always there for him.  I have hope and faith that J will have a family one day.  The power of prayer is amazing, and I’m going to pray all of these children home.        

The boys that went on the outing with Auntie Hannah
J saying "Cheeseeee"
Thanks Cheryl for the outfit! J loved the croc on
his shirt, and it is a true statement!
The other volunteers before the downpour and our game of Baseball.
My team dominated if you were curious.
Lately, I’ve just been wondering what God’s plan is for the rest of my life.  He keeps reminding me to be patient, and that he will point me in the direction he has planned.  When I freak out and vent to him, his word just brings me great peace.  He reminds me that he “KNOWS the deepest desires of my heart”  and that he “KNOWS the plans he has for me”
Psalm 37:4
Jeremiah 29:11

“There is hope for me yet because God won’t forget.  All the plans he’s made for me, I have to wait and see, He’s not finished with me yet.”
Wait and See
Brandon Heath 

I have faith that He’s not finished with me yet and with patience, I’ll continue to grow in his word and life my life to bring him ALL the GLORY that he deserves.

Love from Uganda where my heart is full, broken, and complete all at the same time.


PS. Elizabeth, this is for you and so is the other one of her.
  I know you would love those cheeks.  

1 comment:

  1. oh lovey, you know me so well! she is adorable!!! I have shown my whole family your blog and we love reading your updates and looking at the pictures. Love you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete