Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finally at Amani!

Written last night:

Prayers for Allison as she is on her way back home to the States.  Also, we say a lot and it’s going to be a big adjustment just to transition back to home, but help her find a new normal that still involves living on fire for Christ.  I know she is going to be having a rough transition back as we’ve been forever changed.  I love her so much and am so thankful that God gave me a best friend who gets that God has called ALL of us to care for the orphans.  I’m so glad that she’s willing to live her life for Christ no matter what he asks.  I’m definitely going to miss talking with her and having her nearby.   God has really blessed me by putting her in my life, and I’m excited to see what else God calls us to do in the future as this trip was the first to a lifetime.  
I already miss you!
  

I successfully made it to Amani Baby Cottage today and have enjoyed hanging out with all the other volunteers and exploring Jinja.    On Saturday, we have the day free from watching children unless you want to go and help periodically.  I got all my stuff settled and went downtown with 5 other girls.  We grabbed a snack to eat, went to the grocery store, and some of the girls picked up a plethora of DVDS for a very inexpensive cost.  We are very close to main street Jinja, so it is only 1000 shillings which is less than a dollar to ride a boda boda, so we took that to town.  A boda boda is a motorcycle, and it is SO much fun.  Although I would never ride one on a long drive because they’re so dangerous, they’re a very convenient way to get places.  Actually all of Ugandan driving is dangerous.  It is unbelievable how close people drive together and how everyone merges.  CRAZY.  I ate a restaurant tonight since it is a Saturday, and a lot of American’s attend there.  It was called The Keep, and it also had Karaoke.  Maybe next time I’ll actually try singing.  It was definitely a different experience today being less structured and not traveling in a huge group.  There is a lot more independency here.  There is internet at the guest house that I’m staying at, but unfortunately the power has been continually going out meaning no internet, but it’s Africa, so I never expect to have it.  I’m sharing a room with 5 other girls and then there are 2 more volunteers in another room.  

PS We'll catch you up on what we've done the past few days, but today I went to a traditional African service. AMAZING.  And I just finished playing baseball during a downpour with the other volunteers.  SO much fun.  Of course, loving on all the babies too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment